books with Athena

books with Athena

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Catherine Ryan Hyde on Publishing Trends

For folks who don't have time to read comments, I thought I'd repost the great comment to the post below from Catherine Ryan Hyde, author of Pay it Forward and a whole lot of other brilliant novels:

"Trends change so regularly that you will most often miss them if you try to write to fit them. And if you fake an interest in, say, romance, the lack of genuine interest usually tanks the work. I always thought the best plan was to write what you truly love. The love comes through and the work rises like cream to the surface, even in a tough market. Who knows, maybe next year I'll sell When I Found You in the US. I'm not betting the house on it, but stranger things have happened. Especially in publishing."

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the latest publishing trends, and for your comment on my blog. I've added some romance to my military drama short story. Only, the zeppelin is out -- the story is set in the early 1800s!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They said at the California Conference that military romance is big. So is historical. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments, but we can't allow anonymous ones because of spam problems (like hundreds a day). If you have a WordPress blog ID, try signing into Wordpress before you comment with that ID. If you have trouble commenting, email your comment to Anne at annerallen dot allen at gmail dot com and she'll post it for you.