books with Athena

books with Athena

Monday, December 21, 2009

Have a Peaceful Solstice!

Solstices are important markers in our relationship to the earth and our own mortality. Celebrating them makes sense. That's why pretty much all religions do it.

But you know what would make more sense? Celebrating the Winter Solstice with quiet meditative activities. Then celebrate the SUMMER one with all the partying and traveling and mailing of gifts.

Traveling to see the family. In summer instead of winter. When there's like, NO SNOW. A radical concept, I realize. But think about it.

So if you don't want to go out in the snow (or here in CA, the rain) risking your life to get to the mall to spend money you don't have, and you want to give a meaningful gift to that writer on your list, here are some suggestions:

1) Leave a nice comment on their blog. Or even something not so nice that stimulates argument. Nothing brightens the heart of a blogger like getting comments. The more the better. Yes, I know these blog programs make you jump through hoops to comment. Even on my own blog, if I want to add to the comment thread without being "signed in" the first time I hit "publish," I'm told I can't do it and have to try again. It always works the second time, but what's up with that?

But a little hoop jumping beats going to the mall and abusing that little plastic card, doesn't it?

2) If your friend has a book in print, write her a rave Amazon review. Give it five stars. Even if it isn't her best book. It will counteract the 1-star review she got from that troll who can't spell and hates the whole genre. It will also raise your own Google profile. And your friend may do it for you later down the road. Win/win.

Then go make some peppermint tea (love the Candy Cane Green Tea from Trader Joe's!) let the cat crawl into your lap, and spend the rest of the day reading that book that's been sitting by your chair since the holiday frenzy started last October.

It's what I'm going to do.

Have a peaceful season, however you decide to celebrate it.

11 comments:

  1. Yet, somehow, my partner's version of gloss painting every surface and sanding anything at floor level sounds so much more fun :s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quiet meditative activity does sound lovely. I have one more trip to the post office to make then, that's it! Happy to be living in Central CA where it's warmish and dryish, more Summer Solsticeish, on this Winter Solstice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a peaceful post. It's not super chilly here, but the mountains are full of snow and beatiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Solstice to you too. No snow for me - it is 38.8 degrees celcius at my home, so we get everything a little bit round-about. This is the best time of the year for me :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wave--In Oz, it's probably exactly the right time to travel about and see all the relatives. Not so good for portly old dudes in red velvet, fur-trimmed outfits though. I hope Aussie Santas get red swim trunks instead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the celebrate in the summer idea. Once I went to a Xmas in July party and it was pretty cool. Lucky for me I only have to drive to Southern CA for the holiday.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the celebration during the summer idea...once I went to a Xmas in July party and it was pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope you're having a wonderful New Year's Eve, and I especially hope this coming year is full of success and joy for you. New Year's hugs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. For some reason (probably my internet connection) i couldn't post on your blog earlier, but i hope you had a wonderful new years! I think celebrating the solstices is an excellent idea, although its significant to me for other reasons.

    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The ways of Blogger are mysterous, Emily. Sometimes I can't post on my own blog. I fear it's one of the Great Mysteries we, as mere mortals, are not meant to comprehend...

    My New Year's celebration with friends was lovely. Champagne and chocolate and a DVD of the Tudors, to remind ourselves that we have, indeed evolved in the last 500 years. (Even though we don't wear such cool outfits.) Only we tuned the TV to Dick Clark in Times Square at midnight. The mummified remains of Dick Clark, anyway. With Jennifer Lopez singing--with no clothes on. In the freezing rain. Ms. Lopez is a lovely middle-aged matron. She deserves clothes. And some self-respect.

    Maybe we haven't done that much evolving, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sheessh...the mummy was revived again this year? Someone should tell Dick Clark to SIT DOWN!!! Retire already- unless he needs the money....in which case - ROCK ON, Dick!

    ReplyDelete

We LOVE comments, but we can't allow anonymous ones because of spam problems (like hundreds a day) and we moderate comments on posts older than one week, since older posts attract more spam. If you have a WordPress blog ID, try signing into Wordpress before you comment with that ID. If you have a gmail or other Google ID, make sure you're signed into Google. If you have trouble commenting, email your comment to Anne at annerallen dot allen at gmail dot com and she'll post it for you.